I’ve been inspired and thought I would share! A couple of days ago I watched an interview with Alicia Silverstone. I have to admit I really didn’t know much about her…probably my age! She is a actress, activist and extremely committed conservationist who after years of suffering acne, low energy and a multitude of other issues she decided to go VEGAN. Just the thought gives me the willy’s! I did try eliminating meat a few years back and just couldn’t find a balance. In truth, I probably didn’t try very hard. For Alicia the choice was easy once she began to see such amazing results from her plant-based diet. So I have ordered her new book..it just came out in paperback. What really attracted me to this particular book were the 3 separate levels, from flirting to superhero. The flirts ( that would be me) learn to “dip a toe” into the vegan pool. While the superhero program is based on the principles of macrobiotics. I found out when ordering the book that she also has a blog you can check out too. I hope to be successful with this new venture! I’d love to hear from anyone who is already embracing this lifestyle!
Here is a list of items I found that will make it easy to start whipping up some of these recipes.
- Earth Balance Butter
- Ume Vinegar
- . Brown Rice Syrup
- Uncle Eddie’s Vegan Cookies (PB Choco Chip or Molasses) and/or Newman”s Own vegan
- Bacon: Light Life (smokey tempeh strips or smart bacon)
- Nori Sheets
- Sausage: Field Roast Smoked Apple Turkey
How do these sound….YUM!
Serves 2 to 3
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced vegan chorizo or taco crumbles
- 4-6 corn tortillas, soft or hard as you prefer
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- Prepared salsa
- 1 cup tofu sour cream or Tofu Cream
- 2/3 cup shredded vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Hot sauce (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo or taco crumbles and cook, stirring until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. If using soft tortillas, wrap in a slightly damp kitchen towel and heat in a 350°F oven or toaster oven for 5 to 6 minutes or until warm and pliable. (Hard taco shells don’t need to be heated.) Arrange the onions, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, tofu sour cream or Tofu Cream, and cheese in small bowls alongside the chorizo. Pass around the tortillas so everyone can fill their own tacos and add hot sauce to taste.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (preferably unsweetened and unsalted)
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs or 10 graham cracker squares
- 1/4 cup maple sugar or other granulated sweetener
- 1 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
- 1/4 cup soy, rice, or nut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or peanuts
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. (“If You Care” makes unbleached liners made from recycled paper.) Set aside.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and maple sugar and mix well. Remove the mixture from the heat. Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 2 tablespoons per cup, among the muffin cups. Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted. Spoon the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture. Top with chopped nuts. Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving.
You can order her book here The Kind Diet
Hope you enjoy these!